Friday, May 31, 2013

summer vacation?

Well, the end of the school year finally came.  So many things happened, that I'm a little dizzy even now, one week and fifty-billion miles later.  Yes, you read that correctly, although when I say 'fifty-billion' I really just mean 'a lot.'  Flying out of West Africa is not for the faint of heart.  After thirty-plus hours in airports and airplanes, three brushes with customs, and two 'fumigations,' I finally made it back to the good old US of A.  And now I'm travelling through the greater Seattle area like a regular little nomad.  Yesterday, I walked into the office of dear old Conway (my old school) with a towering green canvas duffle, my trusty green book bag, and a ukulele.  The office manager thought I was moving in.  It was wonderful to see my students and colleagues again and get to say a proper goodbye.  Though I'm pretty sure I left my heart on the playground.  The dear little ones just orbited around me all recess.  And then there was church, followed by a proper movie night with Shelby...and I'm not even going to talk about my time at Casa Walter (because I happen to be typing this in a public place, and I don't want to cry--suffice it to say I was sorely tempted to just move in for good).  There was also a whirlwind visit with Grandpa and Peggy that was well worth the drive.  Right now, I'm sitting the Seattle Pacific University library, letting the muted sounds of knowledge just wash over me.  Lovely.

There are two things I'd like to say to you today (before I leave you for an evening of nerdy revelry).  First, I wanted to share this link with you.  It was written by my friend Dianna Cash, and beautifully sums up the work that has been done in Guinea this field service.  Thank you all for being a part of this effort.  You may not feel like you did much, but you've been a great support to me in what has been a most challenging (and rewarding) year.  I know I could not have done my job without your help love.  So these numbers belong to you as much as they belong to me. 
Second, you should know that I may not have regular access to the internet over the course of my summer wanderings.  I fly out of Seattle tomorrow to spend time with the family in Hawaii and California.  Then I'm off to Texas for some training in the 'Gateway' program.  I'll be able to explain it better after it's started, but I've heard it involves learning how to fight fires at sea (sweet!).  I won't have nearly enough time with anyone, but I'm very, very grateful for the time I get with each person I see while I'm here in the States.  If I missed you, I'm sorry.  But I still carry you in my heart nevertheless.

Happy Summer!!

No comments: