Thursday, September 9, 2010

I saw some fallen leaves today. They rattled in a matter most satisfying across the sun-drenched sidewalk of downtown Mount Vernon. That, along with the cool breeze and already westering sun, tells me we've crossed the invisible boundary between Summer and Fall. It's like when you catch a glimpse of your face in the mirror or a window reflection and realize you're not a kid any more. You don't know it's happening until it's already happened.

I'm having a hard time believing that my life will ever be different than it is now, and deep down I am definitely not OK with that. But I guess I just have to trust that the next phase will come--as the last phase did--like the subtle progression of seasons.

So carpe diem! 'Cause this 'diem' will be gone soon enough.

1 comment:

Joshua said...

Expletive, that's good!